Thursday, November 8, 2012

Casting Call - Five Minute Classics: Pride and Prejudice

I'm looking to fill roles in the first of a new series called "Five Minute Classics". I will deconstruct public domain stories and distill them to their bare essence and add some humor along the way. There is no long-term commitment because each story will be different - and the total story is only around five minutes in length.

By the way, I'm looking for fake British accents - bad accents are great. This is meant to provide humor and not be a purist treatment of the story. 

So, here's a look at the first casting call.

NARRATOR
1. Written by beloved writer Jane Austin, Pride and Prejudice is a love story, but more than that it is a study of the interaction between those of different economic and social backgrounds. The story primarily features the Bennett family. A father, mother and five eligible daughters – At least one plays the piano very badly. (Beat) We won’t torture you.
2. What we have failed to mention is that Mr. Darcy likes Lizzy, but has a hard time showing his affection – it usually come across as condescension. In turn this causes Lizzy to look unfavorably on the man who seems to think that perhaps she will one day be like her mother. 

MRS. BENNETT
1. (Overbearing) Elizabeth, pick up your clothes. Lydia, find yourself a husband – a nice soldier will do. Jane, date someone rich – perhaps Mr. Bingly would do. 
2. (Screechy) Have you noticed my Lizzy?

MR. BINGLY
1. Let’s throw a fancy ball and invite the Bennett girls. 
2. I hate to break in to your conversation, but we’ve only got five minutes. I was stupid. I really do love Jane. 


JANE
1. (Almost sobbing) I wish I had never gone to the dance. 
2. I wish you weren’t so emotionally disjointed Mr. Bingly. You do play frightfully with the emotions.

MR. BENNETT
1. An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.

MR. DARCY
1. I’d rather cast cruel looks at people making them think they are foolish and uncivilized.
2. I have emotions for you that are not altogether unpleasant. 


ELIZABETH
1. The way he looks at me makes me think I am foolish and uncivilized. 
2. I would rather marry a rabid skunk, Sir.  


RECORDING AND CONTACT INFORMATION:
 - Record in format: 44100hz, 128-bit Stereo mp3.
- Save the lines as "5MC1_charactername_yourname_audition.mp3."
If you are chosen, we will ask you to do your lines THREE TIMES EACH, each time a little differently, so the mixer can pick the best take. In the subject line of your e-mail, please type "5MC1_charactername_yourname_audition."

Deadline: November 26th, 2012.

Please send to dramaspeak@gmail.com.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are chosen for one of the above roles, we will let you know when we will need your lines back to begin mixing. If that date presents a problem for you, let us know as soon as possible. Otherwise, please adhere to the deadline. A missed deadline will jeopardize your role. If we do not hear from you within 24 hours after mailing you about the missed deadline, we will be forced, in the interest of time, to recast your role.
Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment